Welcome to Learned in Primary, where we discuss that everything we know we learned in primary. This podcast focuses on the things that we are learning as adults that remind us of what we learned as children growing up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Join hosts Jethro Jones and Tom Bay as they discuss the current hot topics in thought leadership and how they relate to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
You can follow the show on twitter @learnedprimary and follow the hosts @tommybay and @jethrojones. If you like what you are hearing, please subscribe to the podcast in iTunes and share it with your friends.
In this episode we discuss “Sticky Branding: 12.5 Principles to Stand Out, Attract Customers, and Grow an Incredible Brand” by Jeremy Miller. This podcast is not affiliated with the authors of the book or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
There are many strategies (presented in the form of ideas, stories, and exercises) and core factors to creating and maintaining a “Sticky Brand”, or in our case an effective church.
- “Simple Clarity is the ability to simply and succinctly describe your business, what makes it unique, and who it serves. Simple Clarity is about speaking in the language of your customers, and clearly explaining your company’s story.” We really try to do this with the church. The church is about telling the story of simple faith in Christ succinctly. 4th Article of Faith?
- “The five best words you can hear a customer say are, “That’s interesting. Tell me more.” If you can get them to say that, you have caught their attention and they will listen to what you have to say. “ This is true in the church, also. When we do find a sweet spot for conversing with people about the Savior, we find a way to make it real for them. ?
- “Sticky Brands make Big Goals and take Bold Actions. Their goals energize the brand. They create momentum and excitement around a business that is infectious. People are excited to talk about the company, refer others to it, and buy from it, because of its accomplishments.” Moses 1:39?
- “Sticky Brands are built by people: ambitious, impatient, talented people. People who are not satisfied with the status quo or growing just another business. Sticky Brands are built by people who commit to growing them.” The church is successful because there are so many people willing to do the work for no pay, no respect, no admiration, other than fulfilling the work of the Lord. ?
- “Clearly defining what you do provides focus.” We teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves. ?
- People don’t want to buy a quarter-inch drill, they want a quarter-inch hole.” —Theodore Levitt?I’d say most people don’t want a church, they want peace, control, and direction in their lives. They want meaningful relationships.?
- “You don’t have to tell your customers why they should buy. Let them make up their own minds.”?If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5?
- “An effective way to engage your entire market is to engage people in a conversation. Instead of marketing to them, speak with them. Share ideas. Find common ground. Have a conversation and engage as much of your market as possible in topics that will motivate them to say, ‘That’s interesting. Tell me more.’ Conversations start with you. How can you spark a discussion? How can you get your customers to engage with you even if they’re not buying right now?”?“Brands Are Built in the Lower 90 Percent… If you build and scale relationships with the Lower 90 Percent they will call you first when they are ready to buy”?Member missionary work!?
- Branding from the inside out. Bake Values into Your Brand. Happy employees create happy customers.?How effective would the Lord’s work be if His church was full of unhappy people??
- “Sticky Brands are driven by Big Goals and Bold Actions — they have a purpose to be something greater than they are.”?“…shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled the whole earth.” D&C 65:2? Moses 1:39 ?Daniel’s interprets Nebuchadnezzar’s dream? Temples dotting the Earth (Bruce R McConkie?) ?
Next book: Everyone Communicates, Few Connect