Built to Lead: 7 Management R.E.W.A.R.D.S Principles for Becoming a Top 10% Manager
Buy the Book ? This is an affiliate link. Buy the book here to fund future episodes
Welcome to Learned in Primary, where we discuss that everything we know we learned in primary. This podcast focuses on the things that we are learning as adults that remind us of what we learned as children growing up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Join hosts Jethro Jones and Tom Bay as they discuss the current hot topics in thought leadership and how they relate to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
You can follow the show on twitter @learnedprimary and follow the hosts @tommybay and @jethrojones. If you like what you are hearing, please subscribe to the podcast in iTunes and share it with your friends.
In this episode we discuss “Built to Lead: 7 Management R.E.W.A.R.D.S Principles for Becoming a Top 10% Manager” by David Long. This podcast is not affiliated with the author of the book or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Book’s Overarching Themes
Recognize and reward your employees to make your company successful. By making sure others are successful, you will become even more successful. ?
Jethro’s Top 5 Takeaways
- “The beauty of using motivation: you don’t need to use a cattle prod to get engaged employees to work, and work hard!” When people aren’t performing in their callings, we don’t need to focus on the calling, we need to focus on the testimony. “The Power of Personal Testimony” by Dieter F. Uchtdorf “Our testimony motivates us to live righteously, and righteous living will cause our testimony to grow stronger.”?
- “Success… is Making a Difference in the Lives of Others. Happiness… is Watching them Grow Because of It.” Mosiah 2:17 – “When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, you are only in the service of your God”?
- “Leaders don’t beat around the bush, son. They do what needs to be done immediately!” – Example of Jesus and personal leaders I have known that told it like it is.?
- You, as the manager, are only as good as your people. Understand this too: Your people are a direct reflection of you as their manager.?
- Shark tooth strategy of leadership development. – This is exactly how callings work. ?
Tom’s Top 5 Takeaways
- Attitude is everything | Jesus had a good attitude?“NOTHING can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; NOTHING on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” — Thomas Jefferson?Agency?
- Everyone wants and needs recognition and praise?Matthew 16:18?18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.?
- Not all readers are leaders, but ALL [church] Leaders are [scripture] Readers?Dave’s “book club” could be a “scripture club” — ?“YOU simply must become involved, personally, in each of your employees’ education.”?
- These troublesome times molded me?and I thank God I was fortunate enough to learn valuable lessons from going through each of them. ?“My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.” — D&C 121:7–8 ?
Success is making a difference in the lives of others…?Happiness is watching them grow because of it.?By this definition, Christ is the most successful person to have ever lived… and potentially the happiest?
“Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.” — Sun Tzu, The Art of War – Captain Moroni!?